How to Tell How Big Your Puppy Will Get
Kiwi the Alaskan Klee Kai is getting bigger! She’s still so cute though. Her paws are not that big, so I doubt she will grow past anything but a miniature. Estimating a puppy’s paw size is not hard if you have a purebred, especially with a klee kai.
How to tell how big your puppy will get:
- Paw size- puppies usually grow into their paws. This is not always a sure thing, but a large dog definitely needs paws to match, and a small dog does not usually end up on big feet.
- Skin- A lot of loose skin could mean your puppy will grow into it, meaning a bigger size.
- 12 weeks weight – Some say that doubling your puppy’s weight at 12 weeks is a good indicator of size. I’ll let you know if this is actually true with Kiwi.
- Parents- A puppy’s size is usually determined by the size of her parents, and therefore it will often mirror them. Normally, a puppy follows more after their mother’s footsteps, especially if they are of the same sex.
Kiwi is currently 3-4 pounds at a little over 10 weeks. I’ll let you know how she ends up. :]
As for other updates:
- Kiwi is now socialized! I have brought her to meet as many people as possible, and it is starting to pay off. She is now very excited to see people, and eats up the attention. However, she is still slightly wary the first 10 seconds. But it’s a huge improvement from the last.
- I brought her to play with Mushroom the Yorkie the other day. Kiwi just loves other dogs! She is just learning her manners with other dogs. She was always the alpha-dog, and I think she likes to play too agressive. Hopefully that will change the more she gets to play with other dogs.
- Tricks Kiwi knows: Sit, down, paw, other paw, roll over, stay, take it, leave it, and paw. Granted, it depends on her motivation level. Kiwi is fairly disinterested in treats.
- Her brother and half-brothers/sisters all went home today from Klee Kai Magic. They by-far still have the cutest AKK puppies.
[Edit August13th] – Kiwi weighs 4.8 pounds at 12 week, which according to the 12 weeks weight rule, she should be 10 pounds at full-size.